Blueberries have to be my favorite fruit. When I was a kid it was grapes but as an adult I realize that blueberries are much tastier and full of nutrients. Wyman's Frozen Wild Blueberries are my favorite to buy because of the intense flavor and more nutrient value per serving than other blueberries. I like to buy frozen fruit since I do not want to lose any fruit going bad by not eating it fast enough. Plus frozen fruit is the best to use when making smoothies, which we do almost daily.
Here are some great facts about the difference in Wild Blueberries vs regular blueberries:
Wild Blueberries are wildly different from the regular blueberries you normally find in the produce section. Don’t be fooled by their size—they pack more into their tiny blue bodies than any other blueberry on the planet!
• Wild Blueberries have a more intense flavor than regular blueberries. Wild Blueberry plants are more genetically diverse with thousands of interlocking plants spreading and interlocking naturally across fields over thousands of years. That diversity is what gives Wild Blueberries their complex and delicious flavor—an extraordinary mix of tart and sweet.
• Wild Blueberries have two times the antioxidant capacity of the larger cultivated blueberries. A growing body of research shows the potential health benefits of Wild Blueberries including gut health, diabetes, cancer, and brain health.
• 99% of the Wild Blueberry crop is frozen fresh at harvest, which locks in their nutrition and taste.
• Wild Blueberries are called “Wild” because they are not planted— they have occurred naturally in barrens and fields in Maine and Eastern Canada for 10,000 years.
• The retail price for a 15-ounce bag of Wild Blueberries starts at $3.59. A 3-pound bag retails for about $10.
I have put Wild Blueberries in smoothies, salads, sauces, muffins and this time I was trying to think of something a little different. I love Bruschetta as an appetizer so I thought I would try making a Wild Blueberry Bruschetta to serve at our next get together. It turned out delicious!!
Wild Blueberry Bruschetta Recipe:
1 bag Wyman's of Maine Wild Blueberries 15oz
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
2 finely chopped Fresh Basil leaves
1 Baguette French Bread
6 oz. of Mozzarella Cheese
Place frozen berries in bowl on counter to defrost. In separate bowl stir together balsamic vinegar, olive oil and basil. Slice baguette and cheese. Stir defrosted blueberries into vinaigrette. Serve bread slices topped with cheese and Wild Blueberry vinaigrette. Enjoy!
If you want to learn more about Wild Blueberries and find more delicious recipes you can visit the website for the Wild Blueberry Association of North America as well as visit their Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.